After Your Auto Accident
Common Sense Can Desert Us Under Stress
After your auto accident, what to do. You may think that common sense dictates what is to be done after your auto accident. Maybe so, but your common sense can desert you under stress. It is a good idea to print and keep this simple checklist in your car with your other important papers (registration, etc.) should you get into an accident.
- First of all, get medical help for anyone injured.
- Call the police if someone is injured or killed, if a vehicle can’t be moved, or if the accident involved a hit-and-run driver.
- Move your car, if possible, to avoid blocking traffic and to protect it and you from further loss or damage. But be careful–many people are injured at accident scenes each year by other drivers who are not paying attention.
- Certainly get the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance information. Similarly, give the other driver your same information.
- Record the insurance company name and the policy number exactly as they appear on the other driver’s proof-of-insurance card.
- Do not sign anything except a ticket, citation, or report issued by the police.
- Notify your insurance company promptly. It will want the names and addresses of witnesses and injured persons. Never sign any document that gives up a legal right.
- Finally, contact us to find out about your right to recover for your injuries.
Insurance Companies Are Not In The Business Of Paying Claims
First of all, Insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims, no matter what their advertising says. Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums. Consequently, insurance adjustors definitely do not have you or your best interests in mind. Be careful, and when in doubt, just tell them to call your attorney.
Two years to claim
Texas law gives you two years to settle or file your accident claim from the date of the accident. Call us to learn all of your legal rights. We will advise you and, if appropriate, we will deal with the insurance company or other parties on your behalf.
Here’s What Dan Street Can Do For You
- Evaluate any bodily injury claim to determine the amount of money to which you are most likely entitled.
- Help you with the property damage portion of your claim, if you are facing problems.
- Resolve complex issues and negotiate an overall settlement for you.
- Deal with your doctors, obtain your medical records, reports, and billing statements, and notify medical care providers as to who to bill.
- Dan can have an investigator interview witnesses, take statements, and photograph the accident scene and your vehicle.
- Finally, file a lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary.
Remember, if you need a personal injury lawyer or a car wreck lawyer, Dan Street at STREET LAW FIRM is here for you. Contact our legal staff if you’d like a free no-obligation consultation about your case.